Funkmaster Flex Responds To Drake Wanting Him Fired: “70% Of Your Fans Wear High Heels. The Other 30% Are Guys In Sandals” (Audio)


Since July 2015, when Hot 97 radio host Funkmaster Flex played reference tracks of Drake songs recorded by Quentin Miller, the DJ and rapper have no seen eye-to-eye.

During Drizzy’s show at Madison Square Garden on Thursday, August 4, he took shots at Hot 97 and Flex

“They tellin’ lies on Hot 97, that’s how it goes / I told ’em fire Funk Flex, then I’ll come and do your show / Plus, me and Kanye, we just left out the studio / My first night in the Garden, I’m feeling like D. Rose,” the OVO Sound boss rapped to the crowd.

On Saturday, August 6, Flex responded via a lengthy on air rant. Listen to it up top and peep the cliff notes courtesy of Billboard below.

“I got a few stories to tell tonight. I don’t know which one I’m gonna tell first,” Funkmaster Flex started.

“First of all, Drake, I’m not really worried about you making me lose my job,” Flex said. “70% of your fans wear high heels. The other 30% are guys who wear sandals. I’m not concerned about you.”

“I don’t know if you noticed, but everything is built on top 5,” he said.

The DJ actually went on to compliment Drake’s talent as an entertainer, saying he makes “great music” and has “great shows” – but alleged that the rapper is not worthy of being in that “top 5″ in hip-hop.

“If you have help on your music and on your bars to compete for that top 5 movement, that is an issue to me,” Flex said before launching into several supposed stories about Drake, some highlighted below.

On Drake’s Hot 97 freestyle:

“I’ve never commented on that freestyle, never talked about it,” Flex began of afreestyle Drake did in 2009 while looking at a BlackBerry.

“That freestyle, we rehearsed it first in this room. He had the BlackBerry out … I had no idea he was gonna leave the Blackberry out,” he said.

The DJ alleged that Drake and his team asked Hot 97 to put a video of the freestyle out, despite the fact that he was reading off of a BlackBerry, because they wanted to use its release as proof that he writes his own raps.

“They help circulate the video. I’m wondering, why would they put that out? You told Zane Lowe you didn’t know the video was coming out. You calling a lot of people liars. Okay. Video comes out, everybody jokes on him on it, but everyone says, ‘Yo, but he got bars.’ … You wanted people to think that you write your bars. You wanted people to think on that BlackBerry, those were yours, that you wrote that. You wanted to solidify that because you knew this day would come when people might see or question your pen.”

On Meek Mill’s accusation that Drake uses ghostwriters:

“When those reference tracks came out … you had Quentin Miller put out a press release,” Funkmaster Flex said, referring to alleged reference tracks by Miller that he played on-air at Hot 97, as well as a Tumblr post Miller had posted at the time, in which he denied being a ghostwriter for Drake. (“I watched this man piece together words in front of me… I watched him write/ replace bars 2- 3 at a time on 6pm in NY.. I witnessed him light up, go in and freestyle madonna,” Miller wrote of his time in the studio with Drake.)

To that, Flex said, “Let me tell you something for people who don’t understand the studio, ’cause I do. No rapper has a guy that could be or people thinkin’ is writing for him in the studio directing you or standing next to you while you’re in the booth unless he’s writing the lyrics … making sure the delivery’s right.”

The DJ suggested that Drake should have admitted he had “a couple people who helped me with a couple things” rather than try to “hide it.”

“Yes, he writes, but there’s a couple key things he didn’t, and that’s just the way it is,” he clarified, just before wishing Drake well at his Saturday night concert.

“My boss can’t tell me to play your records. I play them because the people enjoy them, and I enjoy them as well,” he said.

Leave a Reply